Finish work and painting was done in a flurry over Friday night and Saturday morning. It's out of the workshop and finally parked on our front patio.
The first cook was a success! I did some brisket, beef ribs, and pork spare ribs. And that's just using one of the barrels, not even close to full capacity.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
I still have a lot to do, but the structure is almost there. The mechanical bits should be fairly simple, as I designed them to stay mostly stock, although I still need to make a muffler and exhaust system.
And the name changed from Hippy Killer to Open Carry - not as subtle, but far better.
The square tube on the bottom is 14g, 2x2 and will support a house - it should be way overkill for a cowgirl. The rest of the gun will be made of much lighter 16g 3/4 square, and a bit of conduit
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Yep, that's smoke coming out of the stacks. Ran a successful small test fire in it today, woo hoo!
Still to do:
- Add handles to the barrels
- Install cooking grates
- A whole bunch of small detail bits I can't remember right now
By next weekend, we eat!
Pipes run, sealant on all the seams. We're lookin almost good to go.
Today I'm going to stick on some handles, bolt on the intake vents, and fire her up!
By this time next week, expect to see it loaded up with some meat :D
The clutch and brake parts should arrive Monday, but it would have been far better if it was Friday. Oh well.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
So I've got this '96 Honda CBR900RR laying around. Frankly, it's more bike than I could ever use on the street or track. I've got a couple 400s too (a CB-1 and a CBR400RR), which are much better for me.
So why not rip the engine out of the 900RR and do build something fun and FAST? Four wheels, 125 hp, and target weight of under 1,000 lbs? Even better, how about a turbo for even more fun? That particular kit seems to be out of production, but there are a few manufactures making similar kits.
This is definitely a longer term project. Time to start researching and planning.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Originally uploaded by Tackett
(clockwise from top left)
1. Both of the barrels have had their paint stripped and have received some extra internal bracing to keep them from twisting while the doors are open.
2. Inside detail of the right-side barrel showing the stove pipe and bracing. I'll be adding a plate above this to keep drippings from gathering in the right-angle bend.
3. Underside detail of the barrel showing the pipe exit. I still need to cut the holes in the firebox where the pipes will interface.
I'm shooting to test fire this baby next weekend. This will be a dry run just to check for airflow, leaks, design flaws, etc. If all goes well, I'll get the last tweaks done and get 'er painted in the next couple weeks. Meaty meat time, here we come!
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Everybody's off to the playa for the Fourth of July, so I've got the workshop all to myself this weekend. Muwahahahaha! I've been making good progress on the BBQ over the last week. Man, I can't wait to get cooking on this thing
- The barrel doors have had cross members added for stiffness, as well as lips added to ensure a better seal.
- The firebox lid is complete, it appears to seal well, but I won't really know until I light a fire in this thing.
- Added inner lips to the firebox door on the hinge side
- Added racks to hold the cooking grate
- Made a grate to hold the charcoal in the firebox
Still to do:
- Mounting points for the barrels (they'll be bolt on for easier transport)
- Hook up the chimney pipe between the firebox and barrel mounting plates
- Brace the insides of the barrels to prevent twisting
- Add cooking grates to the firebox and barrels
- Strip the paint off of the barrels
- Add handles to the frame for easier transport